Long before the coming of Spaniards, Tanay was already settled by early Indonesian and Malay voyagers. Artifacts dug up attest to the existence of these early settlements. Not long after the conquest and subjugation of Manila and the surrounding lake areas by Salcedo in 1571, Franciscan missionaries arrived to Christianize the inhabitants of what is now the Morong-Pililla area. From Morongan, the priest administered Tanay and other chapel villages and ranches. In 1773, construction of the now famous Tanay Church was begun and was finished 10 years later.
Today, Tanay is one of the thirteen towns and one component city which comprise the province of Rizal. Located 54KM away southeast of Manila. Tanay is the major agricultural and commercial center of eastern Rizal.
Tanay Tourism Office
Ground Floor, New Tanay Municipal Hall, M. H. del Pilar St., Tanay, Rizal 1980
Contact numbers: (02) 7361059 / (02) 6552195 loc 212-213 / 09989881590